CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 2, 2009

MLIE – REFLECTION BY HARITH


My first exposure to the world of literature begins during my years in secondary school. I find it as a very interesting subject to learn. The issues and topics of discussion were very diverse and easy to understand. Malaysian literature in English (MLIE) is really different from what I’ve learn before, there are a lot of writers and poets that never cross my mind before. Using my prior knowledge, I can see that Malaysian writers and poets are hardly recognize because their work seldom known to the readers. For a student like me will never know names like, Salleh ben Joned, Dina Zaman, or Karim Raslen just to mention few names. Those are big names in Malaysian literatures in English, I feel blessed that I learn this subject. I finally know something from our local writers and appreciate their works. To be part of the unknown society was really great. The reason why I said that is simply because MLIE are rarely publish and slow growth in producing new writers and poets make it difficult to be known to the public.
In my learning I always wonder how the MLIE can survive the Malaysian literary world. It is because literatures in English are hardly to be appreciated and to be accepting to the readers. It will be an interesting topic of discussion, the survival of MLIE. Another aspect that grasps my attention is why some writers highlight certain issues in their writing. Are the issues highlighted in their writing are still relevant today and how the issues can instil valuable knowledge. If we talk about the future, I definitely want to know what the future install for MLIE. That is because; MLIE is something that we suppose to treasure. If we neglect to protect, we might losing it in future.
After an intensive reading and analyzing I found that MLIE covers every aspect life. The writers commonly highlight religion as their main issues, some on nationalisms and the mixture of culture in our country. Since my task is on Salleh Ben Joned, I will discuss a bit about him. After reading his book, “As I Please” I can say that his style in writing is honest and strongly defend his opinion. There are many issues inside his collection of articles, but his mind is not easy to predict. His style of writing are differs from other writers.
On how I learned MLIE, I find it as not easy task to do. Lack of information cause me to expand my search to a new level. Even the books are not easy to get. However, the discussion made makes thing easy as it get. To involve more inside this world I have dedicated my time to explore every piece of knowledge that I learn from my lecturer and my friends. As a result, my new knowledge about MLIE has expanded to a new level.